Hey y’all, if you took the time to read this thanks! I’ll just explain my rationale for writing music reviews.
1. I want to write quality music reviews that will be respected by musicians as well as easy to understand/digest for the regular music fan. So far I have written about 10 music reviews, and it takes me about 2 hrs. minimum each. Why so long? You got to listen to the music at least 2 times, if not more. Also, to add in the embedded videos and correct all the grammar issues (so that it is professional – i.e. linkable to major websites), takes a lot of time. Therefore, quality not quantity is what I’m aiming for.
2. I will focus on the positives of each musician/band, however I will write constructive comments when necessary (things that I think if improved upon, would greatly help their chances of enlarging their audience).
3. I only have limited time as well, so I have to choose very carefully of who I’m going to write about. I try my best to focus more so on the unsigned/indie/underground music (they need the publicity), but I do have to throw in major artists as well. So half my battle is sifting through all the bands/musicians and choose who I’m going to write about. Something that I keep high on my list: If the artist is releasing something new right now. It is then my priority to review that soon, for the fans and everyone else.
4. I do this currently for personal enjoyment, and love almost nothing as much as hearing new music because I have a super high degree of respect for musicians and the craft that they do. I’m not doing this for fame or anything to do with that, and I’m not doing this to become friends with musicians. It’s about the quality of the report/review (if it’s good, people will take what you have to say…seriously, they’ll give you respect!).
5. What makes me qualified to write a music review? I don’t know, other than I’m a mega music fan, that knows what is quality. I have very diverse music tastes, just ask my friends, it would be hard to pigeonhole my musical tastes. I have also been a music teacher at a school (taught almost the whole school music), I’ve been in a rock band, jazz bands, I can play the piano, bass, guitar, sing in a choir, steel drums, saxophone, baritone/tuba, basic familiarity with soundboards, editing, and I know music theory as well.
Hope this gives you more information on the specifics of music reviews, the rationale, and purposes for writing them. Please contact me at the links below, if you have further questions! Remember #1: It’s never about You! It’s ALWAYS about the musician/band & their music…FIRST!!!