This will just be a quick recap of the songs I chose in my weekly Top 10 Countdown article at Tweeple Magazine (http://www.tweeplemagazine.com). There is one difference, this recap will include embedded links of videos, so you will see visually the bands/artists before you click on the video. Enjoy! ~ Jason
Jason’s Top 12 Underground/Indie/Unsigned Songs of the Week
1. “Hello Goodbye” – Jonathan Clay @iamjonathanclay (Acoustic/Indie/Folk Rock) ~ Austin, Texas http://www.myspace.com/jonathanclay
2. “Stand on Me” – Anna Gilbert @AnnaGilbert (Indie/Pop/Ambient) ~ Eugene/Nashville, Oregon http://www.myspace.com/annagilbert
3. “Krumbsnatcha Do It For You” – Tone Spliff (Hip Hop/Rap/Turntablism) ~ Utica, New York http://www.myspace.com/tonespliff
4. “How Sweet You Saved Me” – Jennifer June (Electroacoustic/Indie/Folk) ~ Montreal, Quebec, Canada. http://www.myspace.com/jenniferjune
5. “Born and Raised” – Alexisonfire @aof_official (Hardcore/Rock/Indie) ~ St. Catherines, Ontario, Canada http://www.myspace.com/alexisonfire
6. “Love Is All” – mr.j.medeiros @mrjmedeiros feat. Tara Ellis (Hip Hop) ~ Los Angeles, California http://www.myspace.com/mrjmedeiros
7. “Bitten Off” – Jessy Moss (Electro/Punk/Pop Funk) ~ Los Angeles, California http://www.myspace.com/jessymosscom
An older song, but new to me, so I included it!
8. “Motor Music” – Finale prod. Black Milk (Hip Hop/Visual/Soul) ~ Detroit, Michigan http://www.myspace.com/finale
9. “O.C.D. (Obsessive Compulsive Dancing)” – Ultraviolet Sound @UVS, @sarahhudson (Electro/Pop/Hip Hop/Dance) ~ Los Angeles, California http://www.myspace.com/ultravioletsound
10. “Young Lady” – N’dambi @Ndambi (R&B/Alternative/Funk) ~ Dallas/Los Angeles, Texas http://www.myspace.com/ndambi
11. “Remove the Blindfold” – Kill The Mockingbird @ktmwire (Metal Core) ~ Los Angeles, California http://www.myspace.com/killthemockingbird
12. “Celebrated (Radio Edit)” – 4TrakZ (Electro/Experimental/Pop) ~ Lyon, France http://www.myspace.com/4trakz
A short 4TrakZ clip from “Inauguration – Nuit Sonores 2009″ performance in Lyon, France.
Name: Mr. J Medeiros (of The Procussions)
Genre: Hip Hop/Rap
Album: Friends Enemies Apples Apples
Released: 2009 Summer
Overall Rating (out of 4) 3.5
Musicality – It’s all over the place musically, yet it makes it perfect sense. Quite complex for Hip Hop/Rap.
Singing – The rhymes and transitions from one MC to the next, very smooth. I can’t argue with this…Tara Ellis is featured in a song and it sounds good!
Lyrics – Quality within the rhymes, yet easy enough to understand and for some reason leaves you wanting to hear it again!
Flow/Rhythm – Very strong! Smooth sound, it’s too bad more mainstream didn’t emulate the underground because this is good, real good!
Freshness – Well worth listening to. It’s more chill Hip Hop, where you are just listening to the rhymes and music, while nodding your head.
Technicality/Recording – Excellent!
Visuals – Not much videos to be found with them (underground mentality I guess), although Mr J. Medeiros has his own Youtube channel. His Myspace page is looking good with lots of information and cool graphics. In the end, it’s about the music, and he’s got it in spades.
Top 2 Songs:
1. Love is All feat. Tara Ellis (No vids of it, so just go to Mr. J Medeiros – Myspace link at the top of the page to hear this new track. The song is amazing. For that reason I’ll pick two other songs).
These next two songs were off his 2008 “Of gods and girls” album (available on itunes)
2. Constance (Soothing Hip Hop, with an ol’ School Vibe, so catchy, and the lyrics/rhymes amazing!)
3. Miss January feat. Talib Kweli (Slick groovin’ song with positive vibes and oodles of flow and great rhymes…try not to nod your head while listening to this track).
~ Jason Chu
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.